Happy International Women’s Day. Here are a few favorite books by women:
* “The Little School.” by Argentinian writer Alicia Partnoy.
* “The Colour of the Moon” by the Greek author Alkouni Papadaki.
* “Once in a Promised Land’ by Jordanian author Laila Halaby.
* “A Handbook to Luck,” by Cuban author Cristina Garcia.
* Catalina de Erasuo, Memoir of a Basque Lieutenant Nun: Transvestite in the New World (1626-30, Spain), true story.
* “The Bone People,” by Keri Hulme, a Maori writer from New Zealand.
International Women’s Day (8 March) is a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. In some places like China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria, IWD is a national holiday. The first IWD was run in 1911. Next year is IWD Global Centenary 1911-201. [From International Women’s Day site.]